improving/ getting improved

Phi

USA
Arabic
If the number of somthing was originally 1 and then became 5 and then 7 and now it is 10. Is the number of that thing improving orthe number of that thing is getting improved?

• sandpiperlily

If the number of somthing was originally 1 and then became 5 and then 7 and now it is 10. Is the number of that thing improving orthe number of that thing is getting improved?
    Neither. The number is increasing.

If the number represents an evaluation of how good / beneficial / effective something is, then the thing itself is improving, not the number which represents the improved quality.

boozer

Bulgarian
    If I understand your question correctly, then the answer will depend on whether somebody is increasing the number of that something, or the something is growing on its own...

If anything, the expression "the number is getting improved" tells me that somebody is adding more units to the existing number of something and this is seen as a good thing :)

The "number is improving", on the other hand, gives me the idea that the number is increasing and we are supposed to like that.

I don't know how helpful all of that is. I am not sure your phrases are very usual either...

lgs

... is getting improved suggests that something/someone is doing something to the number (it's an awkward phrase in any case).

See sandpiperlily's explanation as well for the difference between the value of something and the actual number.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    ... is getting improved suggests that something/someone is doing something to the number (it's an awkward phrase in any case).

See sandpiperlily's explanation as well for the difference between the value of something and the actual number.
    Yes, and certainly nothing has "improved" if the number of mistakes someone makes keeps increasing.

< Previous | Next >