imputable

< Previous | Next >

proofs

Austria, English/German
If I wanted to say that somebody can be imputed with certain characteristics can I say that that person is "imputable"? Or is only the characteristics that are imputable to the person?

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    proofs said:
    If I wanted to say that somebody can be imputed with certain characteristics can I say that that person is "imputable"? Or is only the characteristics that are imputable to the person?
    Hey proofs;
    From my understanding..imputable is usually followed by the word 'to'..
    So therefore it would be to the person..
    But that is just my understanding..:D

te gato;)

jacinta

USA English
    proofs said:
    Imputable is not a very common word. I will go out on a limb and say that the average English speaker would not understand the word. It is not normally used when talking about characteristics of people.

We would say attributable in normal context when talking about people.

kiolbassa

English
    I fully agree with Jacinta - one rarely sees "imputable" used (conversely to "impute to"). Where I see it most often is in accounting where costs may be imputable or not (i.e. charged). Another good synonym in addition to "attribute" is "ascribe".

proofs

Austria, English/German
    I think I will go with attributable, though I do like ascribable too! Think I will just have to re-jig the sentence though to make it run smoother! Thanks for the help.

< Previous | Next >