In 2006 we conducted route (soil )surveys and collect material (soil samples) in 3 climatic zones of Russia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergtab

Russian, Russia
Is this sentence grammatically correct?

In 2006 we conducted route (soil )surveys and collect material (soil samples) in 3 climatic zones of Russia: 1.North- station of the Institute of Parasitology (RAS) in Karelia, 2.Center- station of the Institute of Parasitology (RAS), LLC «Taldom-Agro» ( the Taldom area) and «Moskovsky» agricultural company( the Vnukovo area) in the Moscow region , also we collected soil samples in Tula and Vladimir region, 3. South- test plot station of viticulture and winemaking in Anapa and in 3 districts of Stavropol region.

Moderator note: please use a word or phrase from your text in the thread title. This makes it easier to identify and to find in a search. I've changed the title for you.

• pyan

English, UK, London
    In 2006 we conducted route[linear? transect?] (soil )surveys and collected material soil samples in 3 climatic zones of Russia:

1.North- station of the Institute of Parasitology (RAS) in Karelia.
    2.Center- station of the Institute of Parasitology (RAS), LLC «Taldom-Agro» ( the Taldom area) and «Moskovsky» agricultural company ( the Vnukovo area) in the Moscow region , also We also collected soil samples in the Tula and Vladimir regions.
    3. South- test plot station of the viticulture and winemaking [districts? regions?areas] of Anapa and in 3 districts of Stavropol region.

This is very technical and I have altered the quote above with suggestions. I added some 'articles' which make the English more natural.

"Route surveys" may be appropriate here if you used a particular sampling technique. If they were straight-line surveys you may wish to use an alternative term.

I struck out 'materials' as I think you were only collecting soil samples.

This is clearly part of a larger piece of work. Good luck with it.

sergtab

Russian, Russia
    pyan, thank you.
    we conducted route[linear? transcct?] (soil )surveys
    Please, tell me, how can I correct this? The meaning of that -- we went through the field and collected soil samples.

pyan

English, UK, London
    pyan, thank you.
    Please, tell me, how can I correct this? The meaning of that -- we went through the field and collected soil samples.

How did you choose where to take the samples? Did you take a sample wherever you wanted from the field? If you did this you can say "We collected samples from fields...

Did you go in a straight line? If you went in a straight line across the field it is a 'transect'. You can say "We took soil samples at [state intervals = e.g. every 10 metres] from a transect.

Did you follow a particular route? Some statistical methods mean you take a sample at particular places from a randomly defined route. You define the route before you do your fieldwork. If you did this then your original phrase "route sampling" would fit.

I hope this helps.

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

In 2006 we conducted route (are you sure you don't mean "routine"? Is this done annually? I like the others' suggestions too) soil surveys and collected samples
    material (soil samples) in 3 climatic zones of Russia:
    1.North- station of the Institute of Parasitology (RAS) in Karelia,
    2.Center- station of the Institute of Parasitology (RAS), LLC «Taldom-Agro» ( the Taldom area) and «Moskovsky» agricultural company( the Vnukovo area) in the Moscow region. We also collected soil samples in the Tula and Vladimir regions.
    3. South- test plot station of viticulture and winemaking in Anapa and in 3 districts of Stavropol region.

Moderator note: please use a word or phrase from your text in the thread title. This makes it easier to identify and to find in a search. I've changed the title for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.