English to Italian In a container

Dictionary entry: In a container

Bodger

English-Wales
In the dictionary entry for 'contenitore' there is a sentence "Mi porto il pranzo da casa in contenitori di vetro" This is translated as "I bring my lunch from home in a glass container." Can someone tell me why the plural is used - why not "in un contenitore di vetro"? Would the latter be incorrect?

• Bodger

English-Wales
    As it's been explained several times, dictionary sample sentences are not always a literal translation of the original sentence.
    In this case, it is not.
    Thank you Paul but I still do not understand. Am I correct in translating 'in a glass container' as 'in contenitori di vetro'? Is it correct to use the plural?

Thank you Paul but I still do not understand. Am I correct in translating 'in a glass container' as 'in contenitori di vetro'? Is it correct to use the plural?
    Well, not really...
    For some reason the person who translated that dictionary sample phrase chose the plural, but the original text uses the singular, so "contenitore".
    I think the entry should be amended.

Bodger

English-Wales
    Well, not really...
    For some reason the person who translated that dictionary sample phrase chose the plural, but the original text uses the singular, so "contenitore".
    I think the entry should be amended.
    Thank you Paul, I'm very grateful. I think you are right about it being amended, it is rather confusing.

MünchnerFax

Dictionary Editor
    Italian, Italy
    Ciao. Surely in un contenitore is the most precise translation and I'll change that in the dictionary to avoid any confusion. However just for the sake of completeness, I do think a native Italian is equally likely to say contenitori in plural in this situation. In fact, an Italian native speaker conceived and wrote the original Italian sentence.