in a deal worth US$400 million

• lkjhg811

Korean
    I'm sorry. I should have asked a different question.
    I thought that an arrangement that someone would give someone else something for free was not a deal.
    I wonder if that is a deal.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I thought that an arrangement that someone would give someone else something for free was not a deal.
    :thank you: OK.

There is no "free" in the article you linked, just "send" so it's not clear whether Ukraine has (or will have) any obligation, monetary or political, in return.

MattiasNYC

Swedish

I would probably say that most of the time "a deal" does involve an exchange of value, but I'm not sure it's always the case.

In addition to that "free" is also a word where the definition varies somewhat depending on context and subject. Sending these weapons to Ukraine the US is getting something of value back even if Ukraine doesn't literally pay for the weapons. So in that sense it's still a deal even if there's no monetary payment taking place. The value is non-monetary.

Aguas Claras

UK English
    I don't think "deal" is the best choice of word here because it does somehow imply that they are being sent in return for payment, which I don't imagine to be the case.

However, literally speaking, "a deal worth XXX" means "an arrangement with a value of XXX", so it doesn't necessarily refer to the payment, only to the value of the tanks. If it said "a deal worth XXX to the US", it would necessarily mean that the US was receiving payment, but that it not the case here.

However, I agree that, generally speaking, if you say Company X and Company Y have completed a deal worth XXX dollars", you assume that one of them is selling something to the other in return for payment.