in a slow manner

< Previous | Next >

colin.Fu

Chinese
hi everyone!

I got this phrase from the book 《Pride & Prejudice》

After Elizabeth met Mr Darcy unwanted at Mr Darcy's estate, Elizabeth was occupied by her own thoughts and when she & Mr/Mrs Gardiner walked by the water she could hardly give her attention to anything else and the text runs thus:

'
After wandering on for some time in a slow manner, because Mrs Gardiner, who was not a great walker, was becoming tired, they were again surprised by the sight of Mr Darcy approaching them....
'

(p.s. My 《Pride & Prejudice》is edited version)

So what does the phrase 'in a slow manner' mean here?
Thanks in advance and nice day:)

• Elwintee

England English
    hi everyone!

I got this phrase from the book 《Pride & Prejudice》

After Elizabeth met Mr Darcy unwanted at Mr Darcy's estate, Elizabeth was occupied by her own thoughts and when she & Mr/Mrs Gardiner walked by the water she could hardly give her attention to anything else and the text runs thus:

'
    After wandering on for some time in a slow manner, because Mrs Gardiner, who was not a great walker, was becoming tired, they were again surprised by the sight of Mr Darcy approaching them....
    '

(p.s. My 《Pride & Prejudice》is edited version)

So what does the phrase 'in a slow manner' mean here?
    Thanks in advance and nice day:)
    It means that they walked slowly, meandering along. 'Manner' means the same as 'way', the type of walking they did ('way' here not to be confused with 'way' meaning 'path, route'). If I say "He answered me in an agitated manner' it means he sounded agitated. Jane Austen could have said that they walked slowly, but 'in a slow manner' seems to indicate that they paused from time to time to let Mrs Gardiner have a little rest as she was tired.

colin.Fu

Chinese
    Yeah, Elwintee, gotcha!
    That's why it is followed by 'because Mrs Gardiner, who was not a great walker...'.
    I never thought that 'manner' means 'way' so that's the point.

< Previous | Next >