Rußland
- What lakes there are in Africa?
- Victoria, Michigan, Ontario...
- I said, in Africa!
- Ah... In Africa, there's still Chad.

Which is correct:

In Africa, there's still Chad.
In Africa, there's yet Chad.
In Africa, there's also Chad (I know, this one is correct, but I'm wondering most of all about two previous...).

Thanks!

• Fedman3

Spanish - Mexico
    Ptak, only the third alternative (also, or too), as you know, is correct. The others are not.

Using "still" or "yet" would apparently mean that Chad continues to be in Africa, as if it had not yet been removed from the continent.

By the way, the question on the top should read: "What lakes are there in Africa?"

Best regards.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    I'm afraid that none of the previous, even your "correct" example, seem right to me.

A: "What lakes are there in Africa?"
    B: "Victoria, Michigan, Ontario..."
    A: "I said, in Africa!"
    B: "Ah... In Africa, there's Lake Chad."

"Also" would be used if one person had suggested something correct and the other wanted to add another idea:

B: "Ah... In Africa, there's Lake Chad."
    A: "There's also Lake Victoria."

Matching Mole

England, English
    None of these adverbs make much, if any, sense. "Still" in this context might mean nevertheless; in spite of the fact that there are these lakes in North America, there is this lake in Africa. This doesn't make sense as there is no contradiction between the two facts. For similar reasons, the other words do not fit the context. "Also" is not appropriate because no other mention of lakes in Africa have been made.

I don't see that any adverb should be used here. A speaker would likely use the word "well", but not as an adverb; it means something like "in that case":

"Well, in Africa there's Lake Chad".

liliput

U.K. English
    None of these adverbs make much, if any, sense. "Still" in this context might mean nevertheless; in spite of the fact that there are these lakes in North America, there is this lake in Africa. This doesn't make sense as there is no contradiction between the two facts. For similar reasons, the other words do not fit the context. "Also" is not appropriate because no other mention of lakes in Africa have been made.

I don't see that any adverb should be used here. A speaker would likely use the word "well", but not as an adverb; it means something like "in that case":

"Well, in Africa there's Lake Chad".
    I'm pretty sure Lake Victoria is in Africa MM! Having said that, I agree that the sentence makes more sense without still/yet/also.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    He's talking about the original poster's example in line four of the dialogue, not my demonstration of where "also" would fit.
    A+ for geography though.

sdgraham

USA English
    A little Internet research reveals that Lake Chad, once the third largest body of water and a substantial fishery in a poverty-ridden country, is shrinking at an alarming rate and is likely to be little more than a pond in two decades.

Thus, "still" is appropriate, but without more context, sounds odd as presented.

Google returns many sources of information on Lake Chad, but see HERE for the BBC report.

liliput

U.K. English
    He's talking about the original poster's example in line four of the dialogue, not my demonstration of where "also" would fit.
    A+ for geography though.
    Victoria is mentioned in the first post.

Given that Victoria is mentioned by the first speaker and is in Africa. "Also" is perfectly possible.
    One might also consider that the speaker could use "still" in the sense of "remaining" - "I still haven't mentioned".
    "I've mentioned Lake Victoria, but there's still Chad, Tanganyika, etc..."

Ptak

Rußland
    You've confused me, guys....
    So is "also" fine here, or not?

B: "Ah... In Africa, there's also Chad."

(Victoria is a Lake in Africa, if someone didn't know that....)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    You've confused me, guys....
    So is "also" fine here, or not?

B: "Ah... In Africa, there's also Chad."

(Victoria is a Lake in Africa, if someone didn't know that....)
    Considering these sentences in a stand-alone setting, do not use "also".

< Previous | Next >