in an impeccable hand

< Previous | Next >

jnzovy

korean-english
In these notebooks he had recorded in an impeccable hand his own speculations, theories, digressions.

Doesn't the underlined "in an impeccable hand" have the same meaning as "in an
impeccable way"? What's the difference between the two, hand and way?

Thanks in advance.

• Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    A "hand" can be the way a particular person writes. "We knew he had written it because it was in his own hand," i.e., it displayed the personal pecularities of his writing.

"He has a poor hand." He has poor penmanship, his handwriting is difficult to read.

"impeccable" literally means "sinless," or, more broadly, "without fault or error." So an "impeccable hand" would be a perfect specimen of handwriting.

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    I have another example: I wonder if "impeccable hand" here means she did sums without any mistakes? Please help me. Thank you.
    In my opinion it's her handwriting that's impeccable, and it says nothing about if the sums she did were without mistakes or not.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If you look up impeccable in the WR dictionary (the search box at the top of the page), you'll find that it means "without flaw or error; faultless". Such handwriting would indeed be both pleasing in appearance and certainly readable.

< Previous | Next >