in any measure

machadinho

Português do Brasil
We have before observed, that there is generally in Nature something more Grand and August, than what we meet with in the Curiosities of Art. When therefore, we see this imitated in any measure, it gives us a nobler and more exalted kind of Pleasure than what we receive from the nicer and more accurate Productions of Art. On this Account our English Gardens are not so entertaining to the Fancy as those in France and Italy, where we see a large Extent of Ground covered over with an agreeable mixture of Garden and Forest, which represent every where an artificial Rudeness, much more charming than that Neatness and Elegancy which we meet with in those of our own Country. (Addison. Spectator, no 413.) [Project Gutenberg.org]
What does in any measure mean in that sentence?
From the context, I'd say it means to any extent whatsover.
But I'm not sure. It could be to a certain extent, too.

Thanks.

• machadinho

Português do Brasil
    Literally, non-metaphorically, can in any measure mean in any size, proportion, scale, etc.?

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    Thanks. :) Yes, there're not many instances of in any measure used as a syntactic unit.

That's why I'm having a hard time understanding what any means in that sentence.
    From the context, it doesn't seem to be the same as some or certain.

Do however partially and even if partially sound far-fetched?

1. When therefore, we see this imitated in any measure, it gives us a kind of pleasure
    2. When therefore, we see this imitated however partially, it gives us a kind of pleasure
    3. When therefore, we see this imitated even if partially, it gives us a kind of pleasure

< Previous | Next >