in > as

< Previous | Next >

Gavril

English, USA
Sometimes, a word/affix meaning “in” acquires the meaning “as”:

- English shows some signs of this: e.g,. in itself = “as an isolated unit”

- In Finnish, the essive case ending -na / -nä, which now means “as” (e.g., lääkärinä “as a doctor”) originally had a locative meaning, which is still seen in isolated forms such as siinä “in it”, kotona “at home”, etc.

- Welsh yn means “in” when followed by nasalization of the following consonant, but has come to mean “as” when followed by lenition:

Mae ef yn Nyserth “He is in Dyserth”

Llwyddiannus yw hi yn feddyg “She is successful as a doctor” (cf. meddyg ”doctor”)

Another use of yn, related to the second one above, is to indicate a change of state: Daeth hi yn feddyg "She became a doctor."

(I can’t recall right now where the lenition following yn comes from, but I think it’s due to a now-vanished pronoun that appeared between yn and whatever followed it.)

Do you know of any other examples of the development “in” > “as”?

Last edited:
  • mataripis

Sometimes, a word/affix meaning “in” acquires the meaning “as”:

- English shows some signs of this: e.g,. in itself = “as an isolated unit”

- In Finnish, the essive case ending -na / -nä, which now means “as” (e.g., lääkärinä “as a doctor”) originally had a locative meaning, which is still seen in isolated forms such as siinä “in it”, kotona “at home”, etc.

- Welsh yn means “in” when followed by nasalization of the following consonant, but has come to mean “as” when followed by lenition:

Mae ef yn Nyserth “He is in Dyserth”

Llwyddiannus yw hi yn feddyg “She is successful as a doctor” (cf. meddyg ”doctor”)

Another use of yn, related to the second one above, is to indicate a change of state: Daeth hi yn feddyg "She became a doctor."

(I can’t recall right now where the lenition following yn comes from, but I think it’s due to a now-vanished pronoun that appeared between yn and whatever followed it.)

Do you know of any other examples of the development “in” > “as”?
    I cannot explain the way you do. In Tagalog "In" appears as 1.) In an isolated place.= Sa isang liblib/kubling dako(lugar). 2.) while "as" is usually "bilang" = as a human= bilang tao. 3.) The Tagalog translation for " He is in the Desert" is " Siya ay nasa Ilang. In 1.) In=sa 2.) as=bilang 3.) In=nasa

< Previous | Next >