in/at football training/class?

takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!

"Today in karate class I injured my foot."

What word do you use for "class" in this sense when you talk about other sports, e.g., football? (Regardless of whether in the American or the Europian meaning.)

"Today in soccer class I injured my foot"?
"Today in/at soccer training I injured my foot"?

How much does it change from sport to sport? I know you say "in karate class", "in swim class" -- is it different for ball games maybe? Or do you just say "in baseball class", "in basketball class", "in voleyball class", etc.? (For some reason with these latter "training" sounds more fitting to me...)

Do you also use "class" when you talk about a training of professionals? ("Today in football class Payton Manning got injured" sounds very off to me...?)

Thanks!

• sound shift

English - England
    If the training is not a lesson, not at school (as is probably the case: I've never come across football training on the school curriculum): "Today at football training I injured my foot."

Where's Noah?
    He's in at football training.

takiakos76

Hungarian
    We use "class" if it's listed as an academic class, which obviously does not apply to professional sports or extracurricular sports in academic institutions.
    Hm, karate for children is I presume not listed as such... still you say "My son injured his foot in karate class today", right?
    (Could you also / would you rather say "at karate training"?)

takiakos76

Hungarian
    If the training is not a lesson, not at school (as is probably the case: I've never come across football training on the school curriculum): "Today at football training I injured my foot."

Where's Noah?
    He's in at football training.
    Hm, I see something different in google ngrams:

"in training today" vs. "at training today" ==> Ngrams not found: at training today (the other one is found) -- for both AE and BE
    "in football training" vs. "at football training" ==> Ngrams not found: at football training (the other one is found) -- for both AE and BE

which might be explained by some combinations I don't think of (like "in football training exercises it's important..." or whatever), but still raises the questions:
    - Are there AE/BE differences in this?
    - Is it incorrect to say "He's in football training"?
    - Does "in football training" mean something different than "at football training"?

Thanks!

takiakos76

Hungarian
    Hm, yet another question: does it also work with other sports, like "Yesterday I was at swimming practice, weight-lifting practice, archery practice, running practice, pole vault practice"...?

Thanks!

pob14

American English
    No matter how many sports you list, the answer will still be yes. :)

Sdgraham was saying that he'd only heard "practice," not that he'd only heard "football."

< Previous | Next >