In cases <where/ when/ which/ that> parents are unable to settle their dispute...

< Previous | Next >

taked4700

japanese japan
Hi,

1. In cases where parents are unable to settle their dispute and minor children remain in jeopardy an attorney may be court appointed to represent the minor child.

2. In cases when a mental health evaluation is necessary, a referral to a specific individual practitioner may be made.

Both above are examples that I found by googling in the Internet.

I can't see what difference you see between where and when. So, let me ask:

1. Is it OK to replace where with when in the sentence 1.?

In cases when parents are unable to settle their dispute and minor children remain in jeopardy an attorney may be court appointed to represent the minor child.

2. If not, what difference do you see between where and when?

3. Can I use 'that' or 'which' instead of 'where' in the sentence 1 and 'when' in the sentence 2.?

Thanks in advance.

• LV4-26

1. I don't see any difference between where and when here.
    2. No, you'd have to use in which. But, of course, that means repeating the in.
    In cases in which.....

Yet, I wonder if in which is more "correct" than when and where, since a case isn't a place or a time.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Where' and 'when' are pretty much equivalent when you're talking about cases, situations, states of affairs: they're not strictly places ('the street where I parked my car') nor times ('the day when we moved into the new house'), but complex combinations of both.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    Can you see that in the first sentence, the whole situation is being referred to: 'parents are unable to settle their dispute'.

In the second sentence, a point is reached within the case/whole situation, 'and when, in the course of a court case, a mental examination is necessary'.

So - if we look at your suggested sentence:

In cases when parents are unable to settle their dispute and minor children remain in jeopardy, an attorney may be court appointed to represent the minor child.

This is appropriate if divorce proceedings are being heard, covering allocation of property, money in the bank, other assets...and custody of the children...and the parents have been unable to come into court with this matter agreed between them and just needing the court to memorialize this is their divorce parents............then....when/if this is the situation... 'then an attorney...'

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >