in Clover Fairy he had bred a bull

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "The Bull" by H. H. Munro.

I am confused with "in Clover Fairy". "in Clover Fairy he had bred a bull " does not make sense for me (You bring your animal to a fairy or you breed for the fairy).

Thank you

Tom had done his best, with the little capital at his command, to maintain and improve the standard of his small herd of cattle, and in Clover Fairy he had bred a bull which was something rather better than any that his immediate neighbours could show.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    This has nothing to do with fairies, or with clover. Clover Fairy is the name of a bull. Tom bred the bull: that is, he selected cows and bulls who would mate and, perhaps several generations later, produce a fine bull who would improve his small herd of cattle (by fathering outstanding calves). Clover Fairy was a better bull, however one measures this, than any bull that belonged to one of his neighbors.

chong lee

türkçe
    So sorry.
    Still it is not clear for me.

"in Clover Fairy" means "regarding with Clover Fairy" ?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    in Clover Fairy he had bred a bull which was something rather better than any that his immediate neighbours could show.
    The quote says this:

Tom succeeded in getting a good bull - a bull better than his neighbors.

He got the good bull by breeding bulls (having 2 bulls mate, then raising the baby bull). So we say he "bred" the good bull.

The name he gave the good bull was "Clover Fairy".

The reason we say "in" is he had a wish ("a better bull") and that wish came true "in" a real example: the real bull named "Clover Fairy".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ...He got the good bull by breeding bulls (having 2 bulls mate, then raising the baby bull)...
    A minor(?) correction: two bulls cannot mate. Perhaps a bull can go through a similar activity with another bull, I don't know, but doing so would not produce a calf any more than sex between two men can produce a baby. A bull (m.) can mate with a cow (f.).

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    In this case, I'd define "in" as "in the form of." ( I know I repeated "in" in its definition.)

Similar examples:
    John found a wonderful wife in Mary.
    In Churchill, Britain had an inspiring leader.
    What a friend we have in Jesus (popular Christian hymn)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Look at it this way, Chong Lee:

Mr. Jones was a great English teacher. = In Mr. Jones we had a great English teacher.
    Clover Fairy was the best bull in the neighborhood. = In Clover Fairy he had bred a bull that was the best in the neighborhood.

< Previous | Next >