in dependence on/depending on

sergtab

Russian, Russia
Please tell me, what should I use in this phrase? Are they both correct? Thank you!
Study on the fauna of nematodes in dependence on degree of soil wetting

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    Hmm, "in dependence on" doesn't really fit here.
    I'd actually prefer something like "in relation to" since I assume nematodes have fauna whether or not the soil is wet.

If we're going for a complete sentence:
    "A study of the relationship between the fauna of nematodes and the amount of soil moisture present."

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Please tell me, what should I use in this phrase? Are they both correct? Thank you!
    Study on the fauna of nematodes in dependence on degree of soil wetting
    I think we need to be more clear on the intent of the sentence. Do you mean that this is a study of nematodes that depend on the degree of soil wetting or do you mean that this is a study of nematodes based on their individual requirements for wet soil?

sergtab

Russian, Russia
    please tell me, is it correct to say this way?
    Study of the fauna of nematodes in the... national park and its relation with the amount of soil moisture

Dimcl

Canadian English
    please tell me, is it correct to say this way?
    Study of the fauna of nematodes in the... national park and its relation with the amount of soil moisture
    That would probably work, Sergtab, although if there's more than one type of fauna, it would be "...and their relation with..."

Having said this, I still find the sentence awkward. If I understand you correctly, you mean that certain fauna require certain moisture levels... I would, therefore, say something like:

"Study of the fauna of nematodes and their individual soil moisture requirements"

Loob

English UK
    Judging by google hits "nematode fauna" is a lot more common than "fauna of nematodes", sergtab (though I still can't say I know what they are:)).

How about "a study of nematode fauna in the ... national park and the influence of soil moisture content"?

Perhaps if you told us a bit more about the study we could help you find a more precise description.

< Previous | Next >