In every show, she was given a lead role.

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

She was a really talented actress.
(In / For / During) every show, she was given a lead role, so everyone else was jealous of her.

I made up the sentences.
I can't decide on which preposition would fit at the beginning of the second sentence.
I guess either "in" or "for" would work fine here, but I'm not sure about "during".

I would appreciate any comments.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I think 'in' would be best, but you need to specify that you are only talking about the shows in which she starred, otherwise 'in every show' makes it seem as though she starred in every show.

Harshada

India - English
    "In" is the correct preposition for the above sentence.
    "For" would be my second option as it can also work fine there.
    But "During" doesn't seems to be correct. So, totally NO for it.

boozer

Bulgarian
    But "During" doesn't seems to be correct. So, totally NO for it.
    Why, I also considered that one. In some cheap slapstick show roles may be handed out during the performance itself. :D (You are right, of course - I don't suppose this is what the OP had in mind :) )

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    I think that there would be different meanings with the use of "for" and "in":

"For" could have the meaning that it is the same play/theatre event, but the main character is changed for each run of the event,

"In" Would have the meaning that whenever she was offered a place in a show (play, etc.), she was always offered the main role.

That's how I see it, so it would depend on the meaning that you wanted (although from the context, I would guess that the meaning that you were aiming for would work best with "in").

:)

< Previous | Next >