in itinere

gettingby

Am. English
Hi again,
Here's a phrase which seems to be in Latin perhaps? I'm not completely sure I understand it. Is the author referring to 266 people who were INJURED while COMMUTING to work? or KILLED while DRIVING FOR work? Or something else? Thank you very much.

Oltre la meta’ dei morti sui luoghi di lavoro (688 su 1341) sono in realtà morti sulle strade, 266 sono infortuni in itinera (19,8%) Hanno meno di 37 anni e muoiono per lo più in città. Oltre la metà dei 1341 morti sui luoghi di lavoro del 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
  • GavinW

British English
    Well, as it's talking about fatal accidents in the workplace, it may be that these people were killed while they were working as road maintenance workers, that sort of thing. But "in itinera" beats me. It's Latin, of course, but I'm more familiar with "in itinere", which is a different grammatical case (ablative, rather than the apparent accusative case we have here).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

federicoft

Italian
    It surely means killed while commuting to work.
    You are right the correct Latin phrase is "in itinere", it doesn't make much sense like that. Probably it was a typo or just plain ignorance.

< Previous | Next >