In its way [at the beginning of a sentence]

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi,
What does "in its way" mean here? I've seen other threads but I think it is a different case. Could you help me please?

In its way, their acts of mercy were more stunning than his act of cruelty.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• Andygc

British English
    We have no referent for "its". Please provide the three sentences that come immediately before this one.

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
    “Two days later, police brought the murderer into court. One by one, grieving parents and siblings stood up and looked into his blank eyes, this young man who had taken so much from them, and they said: “I forgive you.”

Andygc

British English
    I find her use of "In its way" odd. I'm not sure of what she means and I can't, at the moment, think of a way of getting the sentence to make sense.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi,
    What does "in its way" mean here? I've seen other threads but I think it is a different case. Could you help me please?

In its way, their acts of mercy were more stunning than his act of cruelty.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”
    Well spotted!

This looks to me like a word-processing error. She's changed the order of the sentence forgetting her grammatical obligations.

She probably meant 'It its way, his act of cruelty was less stunning than their acts of mercy'.

< Previous | Next >