'in many cases' vs 'in the majority of cases'

< Previous | Next >

sun 94

Banned
korean
Can I use ' in many cases' instead of most of the time in the following sentences?

Your instrcutor may provide a list of reading materials for you, but in many cases, you will have to find the reading sources for your classes.

• jimreilly

American English
    "in many cases" could mean less often than "most of the time". Only 40% of the time could still quailfy at "in many cases"

The sentence makes grammatical sense with "in many cases", of course, but "most of the time" would be the equivalent of "in a majority of cases".

jimreilly

American English
    "Most of the time" means "in a majority of cases" and you could use either expression, but I agree with Pertinax that "most of the time" is more concsie.

I was not suggesting you use "in a majority of cases" (although you will often read or hear this expression, and you could use it); I was just trying to explain why "in many cases" was not the equivalent of "most of the time".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I won't use 'in many cases' because it could suggest problems most of time.
    No, I am sorry. This is not correct. In certain contexts, "cases" may refer to problems or situations in which there are problems, but outside of these contexts, a native speaker will not interpret "in many cases" as a reference to problems.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If someone says "in many cases" it should be possible to understand what a "case" is.
    Suppose we were talking about teachers and homework assignments. You say "In many cases my English teacher tells us to have the assignment proofread by a native speaker before handing it in." I know that "case" = "homework assignment" or "setting of a homework assignment".

I'm not sure what "cases" refers to in the topic sentence, so I don't think that it is appropriately used.
    Your instructor may provide a list of reading materials for you, but you will usually (or often, depending on your intended meaning) have to find the reading sources for your classes.

George French

English - UK
    You could say "a majority of cases" to mean the same thing, but why use a long word when a short one will do?
    A majority of cases is greater that 50% of all cases.
    Many cases is even less precise.
    Depends heavily on context as well.

GF..

Very different. :warn:

< Previous | Next >