in matters of business with some sort of reasonable complaint

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Corleone's lawyer and son tell him about a powerful drug baron, a share of business of whom they want to control. But this is how they start:
— Sollozzo is known as "The Turk." He's supposed to be very good with a knife but only in matters of business with some sort of reasonable complaint.
The Godfather, movie

I don't know what this has to do with the matter at all, so I can't make sense of the bolded part. Would you?...

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    This should mean that Sollozzo is not a hothead who just kills people out of anger or a personal desire for vengeance. Instead, he uses his knife when he has rational, businesslike reasons to do that. The "reasonable complaint" should refer to some complaint that somebody is interfering with business.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Given the nature of the book, it sounds like he use a knife when he kills people, but only does that when he feels reasonable justification in "matters of business" - i.e., crime related activities.

Cross-posted

owlman5

English-US
    I agree with Julian, Vic. I understand "the knife" to be a knife and not a symbol for something else. I'm no expert on the subject, but I imagine it's a reasonably good, quiet way to kill somebody if you know how to use the element of surprise and how to use a knife to kill people quickly.;)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >