in memory of Guillaume de Machaut

< Previous | Next >

metaphrastes

Portuguese - Portugal
Salvete!

Dear friends, some friend of mine who is a composer wants to dedicate a new composition "in memory of Guillaume de Machaut (or Machault)".

Now, the well known Latin formula is "In Memoriam + name in genitive", if I got it right.

Now, the Latin name that Guillaume himself used to sign his works was, so far I can tell you, Guillelmus de Mascandio, if I am to trust the Latin Wikipedia: Guillelmus de Mascandio - Vicipaedia.

As for the first name, the genitive would end in -i, thus, Guillelmi.

I am not sure about what should I do with the surname "de Mascandio": is it already a genitive, following the preposition "de" for the toponym? Should it receive another ending?

Thank you for any enlightenment.

• Scholiast

saluete amici!

bearded is right (# 2): de Mascandio is already in Latin form, for the French 'de Machau[l]t', and as the preposition de requires, Mascandio is in fact an ablative.

My only hesitation is whether In Memoriam is quite right for a title or superscription to honour someone so long dead (the Vicipaedia entry cited by Metaphrastes puts his demise in 1377). How about In (or Ad) Honorem instead?

Σ

Last edited:

bearded

Isn't it actually so, that ad honorem could also apply to a living person? At our universities, outstanding people are conferred a laurea ad honorem (honour degree). For a dead person, in memoriam would seem more suitable to me (and also the intended meaning is different..).

Scholiast

saluete de nouo!

A propos of bearded's point (# 5 here): yes, many academic institutions in the UK and elsewhere in the Anglophone world also award honorary degrees, and, like military decorations, these can be, though only rarely are, awarded posthumously. I suppose the feeling behind my 'hesitations' (# 3) was that I associate the phrase in memoriam with either epitaphs on tombstones or dedications in literary or artistic works such as Tennyson's great poem under that title, written in mourning for his friend Arthur Hallam. In other words, there is (to me) the implication of a personal connexion between the author(s) and the dedicatee.

Σ

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >