in more than age

Bird Song

Japanese
Hi,

"It seemed only yesterday that he had been a boy in more than age, a youth who asked and hoped rather than commanded and expected to be obeyed."

What does "in more than age" in this sentence mean, please?

Thank you :)

• Bird Song

Japanese
    We need more context, please. What book or story is this from? Who is "he," and what is happening here? When and where is this scene set?
    Sorry for not providing enough information. I thought it may be just an English common usage or sort of thing. :D

It is a sentence from the fantasy series The Wheel of Time.

I pasted the relating context below.

(Rand was a young shepherd raised up in a village. After a long story, he became the chief of all chiefs of the clans, in accordance with a prophecy.)

<——-Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Egwene drew breath. Those men were all old enough to be his father and more, leaders of their people as surely as kings for all they disclaimed it, hardened leaders in battle. It seemed only yesterday that he had been a boy in more than age, a youth who asked and hoped rather than commanded and expected to be obeyed. He was changing faster than she could keep up with now. (.....)

Thank you for your time!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Thank you for the additional context! It is very helpful.

This phrase means that he was young, of course, but he also behaved like a boy - not like a man. He asked as a boy would, he did not command as a man in his position would. He hoped to be obeyed as a boy would, he did not expect to be obeyed as a man would. It seems that this is no longer true.

kentix

English - U.S.
    You could say he has a mental age (how mature his mind is) and a physical age (how mature his body is). Only very recently, he was not mature in either one. He had the body of a boy and the way of thinking of a boy. Now, even though he is still young and has the body of a boy, his mind has matured greatly and his thinking and his behavior is that of a man.

in more than age = in other ways besides just his physical maturity

Bird Song

Japanese
    Thank you all for your kind explanations. :)

After thinking for half an hour, I finally get what you mean. :D

I fell into thinking of 'age' before: Does he seem older? etc.

In fact, the author is talking about things in another open dimension.

As an English learner, I am gradually realizing that the road towards the upper level is beyond grammar or relatively fixed forms of language. Taking this question as an example, I can easily get the point of this phrase if being written in my native language even with abbreviations, but not in English.

Thank you very much for helping me to understand the sense of English.:)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >