In my book(s)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
Older members of the forum will remember a thread on 'out of the wood(s)' which led us into some impenetrable thickets, and ended in a discussion about what Benjamin Franklin may or may not have picked up in London coffee-houses in the 1760s.

They will understand, then, how startled I was this morning to see a respected Canadian member use the expression 'in my books' to mean 'to my mind' or 'in my opinion'. Needless to say I, a BE speaker, have been brought up to say 'in my book', and I was until today oblivious to the possibility of a plural variant.

I'm wondering, of course, whether there is a transatlantic divide. Which of the two do members normally use?

• Solbrillante

USA-English
    Hi, TT! I have only heard the singular version of this expression. "In my book"... I would think that someone with multiple " books " would have quite a large collection!

Arrius

English, UK
    I have never heard "in my books either" which would be, in any case, an illogical usage as more than one book would mean more than one opinion (Quot homines tot sententiae).

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I would

1) never use the plural
    2) understand it as having the same meaning as the singular.

I have never heard any Canadian or American use the plural form. Obviously at least one does so.
    I'm wondering if the reference, figurative, might be to "my account books".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Strange how we need many books to record positive or negative opinions about people (in my good books, in my bad books) but only one book to record more abstract views.

Arrius

English, UK
    Be mindful,O venerable panji, that Saint Peter awaits us at the gates of Heaven with a single fat ledger in which the doings of all of us are noted.(Must use shorthand).

< Previous | Next >