in my heart of hearts

seitt

English/Welsh
Greetings

How can we translate expressions like ‘in my heart of hearts’, ‘deep inside my heart’ etc.?

I thought you had a compound word formed of either “x + heart” or “heart + x” meaning the very centre of one's heart but find nothing in my dictionaries.

Just to be sure I'm making myself clear, an example of “x + heart” would be τα εσωκάρδια, and an example of “heart + x” would be καρδιόκεντρο. Not that these words actually exist – I offer them merely as examples.

In Welsh we have a lovely expression, “dan wraidd fy nghalon fach”, literally “underneath the root of my little heart” (although καρδούλα is emotively much closer than 'little heart'), and that’s really the sort of thing I have in mind.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

Last edited:
  • tropicalia

Español
    In Greek I've heard many times από τα βάθη της καρδιάς μου. Πχ, σε ευχαριστώ απο τα βάθη της καρδιάς μου (= "from the bottom of my heart").
    I'm not sure if this is what are you looking for.
    Καλύτερα να περιμένουμε τι λένε οι Έλληνες. :)

Perseas

Greek
    ‘in my heart of hearts’: I wasn't sure about the meaning, but after looking the phrase up in this dictionary, «κατά βάθος» has crossed my mind.

Some phrases with «καρδιά» which denote honesty and sincerity: από καρδιάς/ μέσα από την καρδιά μου/εκ βάθους καρδίας/από βάθους καρδίας

A compound is φυλλοκάρδι, pl. φυλλοκάρδια, (one's heart of hearts, innermost recesses of one's heart) <---maybe this is the one you are looking for.
    Another one (without καρδιά) is the adjective εσώψυχος-η-ο (about a feeling being deep inside in our soul).

cougr

English-Australia
    Within the right context, "κατά βάθος" (mentioned above) and "στο βάθος της καρδιάς μου" are perhaps the two expressions that come closest to conveying the meaning of "in my heart of hearts".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >