" in Nature's Own"

marijasp

Serbian
Hello!:)

I am reading The odd couple by Neil Simon. I haven't heard this expression till now, so I would really appreciate if you could explain me the meaning in the following context.

Context: they are complaining that on their part of the building and in their apartment is unbelievably hot.
"It's like equatorial Africa on our side of the building. Last night it was so bad Gwen and I sat there in Nature's Own cooling overselves in front of the open fridge. Can you imagine such a thing?"

What does in Nature's Own in this context mean? My guess would be that they were naked, am I right?

I googled it and found out that the term is usually used for advertizing some food products as 100% natural. Would you use the expression in any other meaning or context?
Is this expression broadly used? Is it contemporary or archaic?

Thank you in advance!:)

• marijasp

Serbian
    Thanks, Schimmelreiter!:)
    Could you please tell me which one would you normally use? Is in nature's own something that you rarely use and hear or not?

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    Well, some people may wish to avoid words like nude and naked. ​Perhaps over dinner, with Great-grandma listening.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Could you please tell me which one would you normally use? Is in nature's own something that you rarely use and hear or not?
    Here's the reaction of just one native AE speaker: I've never used the phrase, or heard it used, other than as a brand name, but I knew immediately what it meant in the line you quoted. I think almost any speaker of English would understand the meaning from the context.

Loob

English UK
    I've never heard it and I wouldn't use it myself, but in context I would understand it.

It's "creative English", I suppose:).

< Previous | Next >