In no way

fermin2

Spanish
Hello there, I need your help please, is the following sentence grammatically correct?

-Yesterday I saw them from far, that's why we didn't exchange any words, but in no way would I have loved to run into them face to face and talk about my EX.

• slej

Ireland / England English
    Hello fermin2

I wouldn't want to analyse whether the sentence is grammatically correct or not (because of the verb 'love' and when you run into someone it is usually face to face) but it doesn't sound fluent. The following sounds more fluent:

Yesterday I saw them from afar, that's why we didn't exchange any words. But in no way would I have wanted to run into them and talk about my ex face to face.

fermin2

Spanish
    Thanks a lot Slej!! I really appreciate your imput, I'm not going to argue about the word "love" since you say "want" sounds much more natural in this case, but do you think this could be just another alternative to the structure this post is mainly about, "but there's no way I would've wanted to run into them and talk about etc.."

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I would have said "I saw them from a distance."
    If you use the verbs "like" or "want" in a negative sentence, the meaning is clear:
    If you "would not like" to see them, it means you would dislike seeing them,
    and if you "would not want" to see them, it means you would wish not to see them.
    But "love" is a stronger verb, so when you negate it, it is not clear whether
    (a) you would like something (but not love it), or
    (b) you would hate it.

slej

Ireland / England English
    Hi again
    Yes I think that 'in no way would I have wanted .....' is just a more formal way of saying the more conversational 'there's no way I would've wanted...'

I agree with Cenzontle's explanation as to why you wouldn't use 'love' in the sentence.
    From afar and from a distance mean the same thing.

fermin2

Spanish
    Thank you again Slej!! now I know which one is more formal, thanks Cenzontle for helping me get a better understanding of why "love" doesn't fit the context

< Previous | Next >