In nome del culto

ethelthefrog

English (British)
Un testo sulla scalinata di Trinità dei Monti:

Da secoli è luogo di incontri mondani e professionali di artisti, letterati, storici; ma anche di antiquari e collezionisti che la considerano luogo di “libero scambio” di idee in nome del culto dell’Urbe.

My attempt: For centuries it has been a social and professional meeting place for artists, writers and historians; but also for antique dealers and collectors, who consider it a place for the 'free exchange' of ideas in the name of the cult of the city.

Che cos'è 'il culto dell'Urbe'?
Tante grazie!

• bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    While we're waiting for the natives, I just wanted to say that I don't think 'cult' works very well in English here. The dark, sinister and overall negative connotation usually associated with 'cult' in English doesn't seem to be what is expressed here, unless I'm missing something. I think you need the second definition of culto as given here: culto² in Vocabolario - Treccani.)
    Sentimento di riverenza quasi religiosa con cui si onora e coltiva un ente concreto o astratto: il c. della famiglia, della patria, delle memorie, delle tradizioni, della libertà, della verità, della bellezza, dell’amicizia; c. della personalità, esaltazione, sopravvalutazione, soprattutto come fatto collettivo, di un uomo politico

...maybe honor, reverence, homage etc.

paying homage to the city, honoring the city.

ethelthefrog

English (British)
    Totally agree, the word 'cult' is just wrong here in English. I like both your suggestions 'paying homage to ...' and 'honouring ...'. But how would they work as part of the whole phrase: that people were engaged in freely exchanging ideas 'in nome del culto dell'Urbe'?

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    in nome di...might be better translated as for the sake of/ with the purpose of or similar here? What do you think, Mary/Ethel?

...with the purpose of paying homage to Rome.

Mary49

Italian
    Thanks both. 'With the purpose of paying homage to Rome' is a good sentence. But I still don't really get what it means in the context of exchanging ideas!
    Sorry, but I am not sure that "paying homage" could translate "culto"; the sentence means that antiquarians (both sellers and scholars) and collectors of art meet there to exchange their ideas for the sake of their love for Rome.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Sorry, but I am not sure that "paying homage" could translate "culto"; the sentence means that antiquarians (both sellers and scholars) and collectors of art meet there to exchange their ideas for the sake of their love for Rome.

This would be pretty loose, but how about something like "...the "free exchange" of ideas, as is the honourable custom of the City." Channeling my English Renaissance training for the wording here, including capitalized "City," which is normally London for me, but would be Rome in this context. :)

ethelthefrog

English (British)
    Thanks all, I've got the meaning now, which was the main problem!
    With my best wishes from the City of London ... well actually, not the City of London, as that's the middle bit, but from the city that is London :)

metazoan

US English
    We may not have a word to perfectly translate this sense of culto, but spirit could serve, as both a shared sentiment and an animated entity.
    ... in honor of the spirit of Rome.