In/on aisle at a supermarket [AE]

< Previous | Next >
  • Language Hound

American English
    in the dairy aisle

The only way I can think of using "on the dairy aisle"
    would be "He's working on the dairy aisle," but the "on"
    there really goes with "working." Plus, it's really stretching it
    and would mean something like he's creating the dairy aisle.
    If an employee is stocking milk and yogurt, for example,
    we would say "he's working in the dairy aisle."

takiakos76

Hungarian
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I came across it looking for an answer to the same question.

BUT:
    I've also found this: "Clean up on aisle four"? , which also mentions this: Clean up (on) aisle 13

Is the "on" in "clean up on aisle X" idiomatic then? (Nowhere in the two above threads does anybody mention "in the aisle", at least I didn't see it while skimming through them.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Also (as an AE speaker) it would be totally normal to hear this for me:

Customer: Can you tell me where the pickles are?
    Store employee: They're on aisle 7.

I don't think I've ever heard "in" in that context. Perhaps it's because the aisles are like roadways and we use "on" in that context. The house is on Williams St.

pob14

American English
    Store employee: They're on aisle 7.
    Maybe it’s regional; I don’t think I’ve ever heard it said that way, and my reaction would probably be, “why did they fall off the shelves and why haven’t they been picked up yet?” This is perhaps why the “cleanup” one works - normally the problem is on (the floor of) aisle X.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Maybe it’s regional; I don’t think I’ve ever heard it said that way, and my reaction would probably be, “why did they fall off the shelves and why haven’t they been picked up yet?” This is perhaps why the “cleanup” one works - normally the problem is on (the floor of) aisle X.
    Agreed. It's always "in" where I live.

hwit

English - US (AL)
    I think ‘on aisle 4’ is short for something like ‘on the shelves of aisle 4.’ It would be very strange to say a person is on an aisle.

< Previous | Next >