in or above the pathway

< Previous | Next >

bennyfriendly

korean
In my apartment, there is a 12 foot narrow pathway from the front door to the kitchen. There are two lights on the ceiling above the pathway. I am going to make up a sentence about the lights.

(ex) Every night, when I go into my apartment, I turn on the lights in or above the pathway.

Some of my friends think that I should use "in" because the lights are "in" that area. Others think it should be "above" because they are on the ceiling.

(1) Which preposition do you think is correct?

(2) Is "pathway" the right word?

Thank you very much.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    If this pathway is inside your apartment, it sounds like you mean hallway. Is that what you're referring to? Or is it outside?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    In my apartment, there is a 12 foot narrow pathway from the front door to the kitchen. There are two lights on the ceiling above the pathway. I am going to make up a sentence about the lights.

(ex) Every night, when I go into my apartment, I turn on the lights in or above the pathway.

Some of my friends think that I should use "in" because the lights are "in" that area. Others think it should be "above" because they are on the ceiling.

(1) Which preposition do you think is correct?

(2) Is "pathway" the right word?
    If the pathway is inside the apartment, leading from the front door to the kitchen, then in BE at least, "pathway" is the wrong word to use. We would probably say it as:
    "Every night, when I go into my apartment, I turn on the lights in the hall".

Or, depending on the exact layout, "... in the passage" would work. :)

< Previous | Next >