in or on my mind

• jimreilly

American English
    "in" fits here. I'm not sure I can explain why. One has "Georgia on my mind" (llke the famous song)--that is, one thinks about someone (or place) named Georgia often, she (it) is in your thoughts. If you said you had "doubts on your mind", that would mean you were thinking about the word "doubts" or perhaps the process of doubting, the philosophic concept of doubt, or some such thing.

But to have doubs in your mind simply means you doubt something, you doubt that you (or someone else) has found the right answer to a question, which is I think what you mean to say in your example.

Can someone explain it better?

P.S. where is Haka?

mjscott

American English
    Yes, but wouldn't you say,
    "You've been on my mind all day"?

When someone is on your mind, it means you are reminded of them as you go about doing other things.

Example:
    "I couldn't concentrate on my test; my mother's surgery was on my mind the whole time I was trying to finish the third part."

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Yes, but wouldn't you say,
    "You've been on my mind all day"?

When someone is on your mind, it means you are reminded of them as you go about doing other things.

Example:
    "I couldn't concentrate on my test; my mother's surgery was on my mind the whole time I was trying to finish the third part."
    Yes, you would say "on" in this context but your mother's surgery is a subject which is on your mind. Doubts are thoughts which are "in" your mind.

< Previous | Next >