In or under the sea [submarine]

Loafer

Russian
Would you say "under the Black Sea" or "in the Black Sea", talking about a submarine.

The submarine is operating in / under the Black Sea now.

I'm more comfortable with "in".

Thanks.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In your sentence, "Black Sea" is a geographical area, it is therefore "in". = within the boundaries of.

The submarine is operating in the Black Sea now, troops are in Crimea and aircraft are patrolling in areas to the north.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Paul: the sentence tells us where the submarine is located geographically, so "in" not "under".

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Hmmm... as submarines are, by default, assumed to be beneath the surface, I'm not sure that "under" works with the verb "to be" or a geographical area.

"German submarines lurked/hunted/patrolled beneath the Atlantic." :confused:
    "German submarines lurked/hunted/patrolled beneath the waves of the Atlantic." :tick:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    There may be oil deposits or ancient submerged cities under the Black Sea, but a submarine under the surface of the sea is in the sea.

Loafer

Russian
    How about "20,000 leagues under the sea"?

Is it possible that one can say "submarine under the sea" (sea = surface of the sea), but not "submarine under the Black Sea". That is you can't use "under" when the geographical name is mentioned?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    How about "20,000 leagues under the sea"?
    That is not a sentence. If it were turned into a sentence, then it might be "This adventure takes place 20,000 leagues below the surface of the sea."

"below the surface of the sea." is not a geographical location in the way that "the Black Sea" is.

Note #6 for the proper use of under in your context.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Let's be fair, here, "under the sea" used to be at least a poetic usage. Nowadays "in" is proper, as indicated. But in years gone by you would have said, "Davey Jones is under the Atlantic".

< Previous | Next >