In OZ Darwin stubbie

MarcB

US English
In OZ what is the difference between a stubbie and a Darwin stubbie?
I assume they both refer to beer.

• Joelline

American English
    In Australia, a stubbie is a single-serving sized bottle of beer. In N. Australia, a "Darwin stubbie" is a gigantic bottle of beer (I'm not quite sure how much bigger than a stubbie it is, but I'd say 3-5 times as big).

Wait for an Aussie to confirm this.

aragorn

Banned
    australian - australia
    Joelline said:
    In Australia, a stubbie is a single-serving sized bottle of beer. In N. Australia, a "Darwin stubbie" is a gigantic bottle of beer (I'm not quite sure how much bigger than a stubbie it is, but I'd say 3-5 times as big).

Wait for an Aussie to confirm this.
    Please consider yourself confirmed with the addition that a Darwin Stubbie is about two litres or 7.7 standard drinks

aragorn
    dodging darwin

SofiaB

English Asia
    Due to the variety of sizes posted I checked the sites posted and others. The sizes range from 1.25,2.0 to 2.25. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

MarcB

US English
    Thanks for the information. It looks like there is some disagreemet on the size. Perhaps the bottle on e-bay posted by Brioche is the most reliable?

aragorn

Banned
    australian - australia
    Charles Costante said:
    This one selling on ebay is 2 litres, so it would seems that there are different sizes. The one thing you can be certain of is that it's much bigger than the "normal" stubbie.
    http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/76/68/b2_1_b.JPG
    Is it possible that the size differences are due to the difference between U.S. liters and Australian litres
    aragorn
    never having seen a real Darwin stubbie

Brioche

Australia English
    In the days before Australia went metric, standard wine and beer bottles held 26 imperial fluid ounces =738 ml.

The original Darwin stubbie was equivalent to 3 bottles of beer, so just over 2.2 litres.
    Wine was commonly sold in glass "flagons" equivalent to 3 bottles.

Now a standard beer or wine bottle is 750 ml.
    Stubbies are 375 ml - European beer bottles are 330 ml.

Wine flagons now are 2 litres, and so is the current Darwin Stubbie.

aragorn

Banned
    australian - australia
    Brioche said:
    In the days before Australia went metric, standard wine and beer bottles held 26 imperial fluid ounces of beer =738 ml.

The original Darwin stubbie was equivalent to 3 bottles of beer, so not quite 2.25 litres. Wine was commonly sold in "flagons" equivalent to 3 bottles.
    Thanks Brioche
    So that makes a Darwin Stubbie the beer equivalent of a 'goonie' in the local vernacular and finally a description that makes sense to me
    aragorn
    learning something new