in pantomime [comic strip]

• Myridon

English - US
    If you look in the Word Reference dictionary, you will see these two definitions for pantomime:
    2. a theatrical entertainment in which words are replaced by gestures and bodily actions

3. action without words as a means of expression
    If you look at the example shown in the Wikipedia article, you'll see that the characters do not speak.

Loob

English UK
    I found the following in the Wiki article Gag cartoon (my red highlighting):
    A gag cartoon (aka panel cartoon or gag panel) is most often a single-panel cartoon, usually including a hand-lettered or typeset caption beneath the drawing. A pantomime cartoon carries no caption.
    It seems to be a slightly different interpretation from Myridon's, but I offer it for what it's worth. (I've never heard of 'drawing in pantomime', either:eek:)

Last edited:

seitt

English/Welsh
    Ah, yes, many thanks.

So, I think we can conclude that a pantomime cartoon carries no caption and has no speech bubbles or any other kind of dialogue, but may or may not make use of written signs.

The difficulty is in the details.

se16teddy

English - England
    Last edited:

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I was wondering if you would loosely call this multiple-panel comic strip from "Old Master Q" as pantomime. It carries no caption but there's a title that helps reader understand the story on top of the panel. Does "pantomime" have to be devoid of any written signs including "a title"?

Myridon

English - US
    I was wondering if you would loosely call this multiple-panel comic strip from "Old Master Q" as pantomime. It carries no caption but there's a title that helps reader understand the story on top of the panel. Does "pantomime" have to be devoid of any written signs including "a title"?
    Did you look at the example in the link above? It has a written sign of the words the character wants to say. There is no official body governing the usage of the word. Marcel Marceau was the only person to speak in "Silent Movie" and they didn't take away his mime club membership card.

aefrizzo

italiano
    Pantomime
    1) (in Britain) a kind of play performed at Christmas time characterized by farce, music, lavish sets, stock roles, and topical jokes

Just "panto", at times on the press advertising about "what's on in London".

< Previous | Next >