in pantomime [comic strip]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by seitt, Feb 22, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Please see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad_sack

We are told that "Sad Sack" was originally drawn “in pantomime” – please, what does this mean?

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    If you look in the Word Reference dictionary, you will see these two definitions for pantomime:
    If you look at the example shown in the Wikipedia article, you'll see that the characters do not speak.

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I found the following in the Wiki article Gag cartoon (my red highlighting):
    It seems to be a slightly different interpretation from Myridon's, but I offer it for what it's worth. (I've never heard of 'drawing in pantomime', either:eek:)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Ah, yes, many thanks.

So, I think we can conclude that a pantomime cartoon carries no caption and has no speech bubbles or any other kind of dialogue, but may or may not make use of written signs.

The difficulty is in the details.

5. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!

7. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I was wondering if you would loosely call this multiple-panel comic strip from "Old Master Q" as pantomime. It carries no caption but there's a title that helps reader understand the story on top of the panel. Does "pantomime" have to be devoid of any written signs including "a title"?

8. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    This is a specifically American meaning of "pantomime". To be distinguished from the British meaning "fairy-tale stage show".

9. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Did you look at the example in the link above? It has a written sign of the words the character wants to say. There is no official body governing the usage of the word. Marcel Marceau was the only person to speak in "Silent Movie" and they didn't take away his mime club membership card.

10. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Just to close the loop, that was entry #1 in the dictionary

11. aefrizzo

aefrizzo Senior Member

Palermo, Italia
    italiano
    Pantomime
    1) (in Britain) a kind of play performed at Christmas time characterized by farce, music, lavish sets, stock roles, and topical jokes

Just "panto", at times on the press advertising about "what's on in London".

12. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    ... and which, for those who don't know it, is definitely not mime — it's quite the opposite.:)

Ws:)