in pieces by Bartok, Messiaen and Stockhausen.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Julianus, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Julianus

Julianus Senior Member

Korean
    Hello~.

1a. An example of this relationship is the use, sometimes intuitive, of the golden ratio in the sonatas of Mozart, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or more recently in pieces by Bartok, Messiaen and Stockhausen. (from Korea high school English book)

1b. An example of this relationship is the use, sometimes intuitive, of the golden ratio in the sonatas of Mozart, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or more recently pieces by Bartok, Messiaen and Stockhausen.

I think that since the brown "in" is the common preposition of "the sonatas of Mozart", "Beethoven's Fifth Symphony", and "pieces by Bartok, Messiaen and Stockhausen", the second blue "in" is not necessary like 1b. Am I right?

Thank you as always~.

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    I would not cut that second "in" out. o_O

The problem seems to be the adverb "recently".

I think you can do what you suggest if you change recently to an adjective (more recent pieces by Bartok etc... )

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Yes, you're right, in theory. There are people like me who feel the prepositions need to be balanced: either one in common for all the parts, or one for each part. As 'more recently' does cause a problem, you can add 'in' before Beethoven's Fifth Symphony; or put 'more recently' between commas and leave out the following 'in'; or just accept (as I am increasingly forced to at work) that people write unbalanced structures like this.