In pursuit of a (soulmate)

< Previous | Next >

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hello everyone,

Is he following use of "in pursuit of" correct?
Does it mean "looking for"?

I'm in pursuit of a soulmate to have her under my umbrella.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Forgetting about your umbrella for a moment :D ,

Search/searching for/seeking are all rather more literary in feel than "looking for".

I'm in search of a soulmate/happiness...
    I'm searching for a soulmate/happiness...

If you're in pursuit of someone, you already know who they are, and you are running after them.

A stalker might say this:
    I found my soulmate but she didn't want anything to do with me. I intend to pursue her nonetheless.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Forgetting about your umbrella for a moment :D ,

Search/searching for/seeking are all rather more literary in feel than "looking for".

I'm in search of a soulmate/happiness...
    I'm searching for a soulmate/happiness...

If you're in pursuit of someone, you already know who they are, and you are running after them.

A stalker might say this:
    I found my soulmate but she didn't want anything to do with me. I intend to pursue her nonetheless.
    Hi velisarius,
    Thanks for pitching in.
    Does "in pursuit of" literally mean "to run after someone to catch them by hands?

Why can we say "I'm in pursuit of happiness"
    But why not the sentence I made up?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I myself wouldn't say that I'm in pursuit of happiness. Perhaps other people do.

I take it that you meant you are still looking for a soulmate; you haven't found her yet. If you don't know who she is, I would say that you can't "pursue" her (metaphorically run after her or court her). When I eventually find my soulmate, I am prepared to pursue her to the ends of the earth.

< Previous | Next >