in quite a slanted way

< Previous | Next >

Vladius

Ukrainian
Hi everybody! I can’t grasp the meaning of the word “slanted” in the next context. «I’m about 15 feet away from her, and it’s really quite thrilling to hear her sing. I think she’s a beautiful singer in quite a slanted way.»

Last edited:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us where you found these sentences, and provide some context. Once we have more information, we'll be happy to help.

Vladius

Ukrainian
    Please tell us where you found these sentences, and provide some context. Once we have more information, we'll be happy to help.
    Ok! This is the fragment: "Collins: Well, I wasn’t a serious listener, but I was aware of her. And since then, quite frankly, it’s thrilling to be onstage with her when I’m just listening to her. I have the best seat in the house. It’s like that movie “20 Feet From Stardom.” I’m about 15 feet away from her, and it’s really quite thrilling to hear her sing. I think she’s a beautiful singer in quite a slanted way. She’s quite distinguishable in her voice and her songwriting from a lot of other singers."

I read it here: White House event sparks collaboration between poet and singer

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hm. That's an unusual use of the word, Vladius. It doesn't reflect any meaning I'm familiar with. I'd say it's his own personal use of the word and what he might mean by it is: offbeat, unusual, perhaps not what the average person would consider beautiful (although he does).

Vladius

Ukrainian
    :) Actually this word puzzled me very much! I spent a bunch of time trying to unravel that hidden meaning. Thanks for enlightened me that this is just a figment of the imagination and no more.

Albatrosspro

English - USA
    You sound like me when I am trying to learn foreign languages :p. People have strange ways with words; sadly, it can be very hard to know, from an outside point of view, whether there is a "hidden meaning" here or just something odd. If you want more hidden meanings, I would suggest established literature in fiction, history, or something like that, because Americans (probably like people in many places) can get a little too "creative" (euphemism), especially in casual writing.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It's not a figment of your imagination, Vladius.

It's idiomatic.

"slanted" here means "twisted", both in a good way.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    You sound like me when I am trying to learn foreign languages :p. People have strange ways with words; sadly, it can be very hard to know, from an outside point of view, whether there is a "hidden meaning" here or just something odd. If you want more hidden meanings, I would suggest established literature in fiction, history, or something like that, because Americans (probably like people in many places) can get a little too "creative" (euphemism), especially in casual writing.
    Too much attention paid to hidden meaning. Start with the basics and go from there. I was kind of surprised that (in the linked article) poet Collins knocked Jim Morrison, who was a pretty fair hand at poetry.

As I see it, "She has a particular/peculiar slant on how to sing, a unique approach to singing."
    That probably works.

Vladius

Ukrainian
    Thanks for correcting me. It's too sad but I can't to avoid mistakes on my way of learning foreign language. English absolutely differ from Ukrainian and Russian. :)

< Previous | Next >