in reality / in actuality

veracity

Hi,

I was asked a question something like this:
- Have you ever kissed a girl like she?
And my answer was:
I imagined it in my mind, but unfortunately not in reality.

Please tell me, whether "in actuality" is better in this situation. What is the difference you feel between "in reality" and "in actuality"? (Well, I know what is the best thing in this situation ... :eek:

Thanks a lot!

• mcg_on

Spanish - Canary Islands
    I don't know wheter if actuality is better than reality. I would say: "I imagined it in my mind, but unfortunately it wasn't real" and that's all :)

KHALIFAH

"Spanish - Colombia"
    You may use in the real life instead in reality, it´s more suitable, I think.

Last edited:

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "Have you ever kissed a girl like her?"
    "Only in my imagination."

I don't know why you need the compound sentence and explain the obvious-- of course something you imagine is not the same as something you experience. Why be so redundant?

In general, I consider phrases like "in reality" or "in actuality" to be filler, padding-- generally no more meaningful than saying uhhh.

veracity

Excuse me. It is more important to understand the difference in meaning. There may be someone here who can explain if "in reality" and "in actuality" differ at all or in which situation can only be used the first one or the second one.
    Apart from this I am greatful to people correcting me in the thread above.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Correct me if I'm wrong, veracity, but your latest post suggests that you don't want to know whether "in reality" or "in actuality" sound natural/would be used in this context; rather you simply want to know the difference between "in reality" and "in actuality". Have I got it right?

veracity

Should I be chastised I don't know but I am curious about that difference alone too. Cycloneviv you got it right. (I think you would like me to consult my dictionary for this simple difference first.) However, maybe this request of mine is not too offtopic or offthread I hope.
    Thanks!

Ms.Unique

English
    Excuse me. It is more important to understand the difference in meaning. There may be someone here who can explain if "in reality" and "in actuality" differ at all or in which situation can only be used the first one or the second one.
    Apart from this I am greatful to people correcting me in the thread above.
    Hi there.
    I'm also needing to know if I am correct in using > in actuality < in this paragraph when I replied to this guy I had recently met: Now I know why I said I've already mentioned certain things to you when in actuality, I hadn't... it was Michael that I had sent the pictures to...thinking it was you.
    I thank everyone in advance for the feedback and for taking the time to help me.

ewie

English English
    Hello Ms.U ~ Welcome to the forum. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't recommend that anyone use the phrase in actuality ever. In your particular sentence I'd just say in fact ~ it means exactly the same and is four whole syllables shorter:)

< Previous | Next >