In respect of a species or subspecies

< Previous | Next >

agromusica

Español (alfabeto internacional)
Por favor lean los siguientes textos en inglés y digánme si entienden algo
Please read the next texts in english and tell me if you understand anything

The first one ist the definition of "regions of provenance" or "regions of identification" of plants.

"In respect of a species or subspecies (plants), an area or a group of areas subject to uniform or alike ecological conditions, in which stands or seed sources showing similar phenotypic or genetic characters, are found."
(in these case Stands are plants, from which seeds ar collected: planta madre en español) Don't worry about technical words. It is about grammar.

and the next one ist about the goals of a project:

The ojective is to guarantee the largest genetic variability doable by choosing as many populations as possible in every provenance region, taking into account the minimum of individuals that could be collected in every population -no less than 25-.

Do you have any suggestion to improve them?

• clipper

England´s english
    Hi Agromusica,

Although I don´t follow the exact meanings (my involvement in cultivating plants is minimal !) I would say that the first quote reads OK, maybe you should change "alike" for "similar" as it would sound more natural.

In the second quote you will have to change "doable" as I don´t think that this word actually exists, how about "achievable"... Also when you refer to "the minimum of individuals" I think it would be better to say the "minimum number" or "minimum quantity" (minimum acting as an adjective, needs a noun).

Hope that helps a bit !

agromusica

Thank you both

take a look at the corrections: I changed "a species" for "one species"
    and the second "similar" for "homogeneous" to avoid repeating similar.

In respect of one species or subspecies, an area or a group of areas subject to uniform or similar ecological conditions, in which stands or seed sources showing homogeneous phenotypic or genetic characters, are found.
    :)

jacinta

USA English
    I will tackle the first one. This sentence makes little sense to me. I don't need to understand horticulture to see that there is no verb!

"In respect of a species, an area or a group of areas subject to uniform or alike ecological conditions, in which stands or seed sources showing similar phenotypic or genetic characters, are found." ??

What about them? What are you trying to say?

First, it should be either "In respect to...". Does this mean "con respecto a"? Or possibly, "In regards to a species...". Because I don't know what you are saying, I can't tell which it should be. What about the species or group of areas?
    Or maybe you mean "Respecting a species"?

Are you missing "is" as in "...an area or group of areas is subject to uniform..."?

I think it makes sense to say, "In regards to a species, an area or a group of areas is subject to uniform or alike ecological conditions, in which stands or seed sources showing similar phenotypic or genetic characters are found."

I'm still having trouble with the first phrase "in respect of." It's easier if you provide the Spanish text.

Saludos

agromusica

Hallo Jacinta, I agree that the sentence is very confusing.

Yes, "in respect to" must be changed to "in regards to"
    But if I say the true, I would like to change the whole sentence.
    let's make a try.

Regions of Identification (for a species or subspecies): (It is about) an area or a group of areas with similar ecological conditions, in which stands of a species or subspecies showing homogeneous phenotypic or genetic characters are found.
    Is it wright to beginn the sentence without "it is about"?

And thank you again

jacinta

USA English
    agromusica said:
    Hallo Jacinta, I agree that the sentence is very confusing.

Yes, "in respect to" must be changed to "in regards to"
    But if I say the true, I would like to change the whole sentence.
    let's make a try.

Is it wright to beginn the sentence without "it is about"?
    Is it right to begin the sentence without "it is about"?
    And thank you again
    As it is written, this is a fragment, not a sentence. In other words, with the colon, we now have a different story. I would leave out "it is about". It is not necessary. That is it!

Regions of Identification: an area or group of areas with similar ecological conditions in which stands of a species....are found.

Perfect.

< Previous | Next >