in some respects makes a beast a man, in 'some other', [singular or plural]

< Previous | Next >

&ee

English - British
  • “O powerful love, that in some respects makes a beast a man, in some other, a man a beast.” - Shakespeare's Merry Wives of Windsor.
This is a source of dispute between my Spanish linguist girlfriend and myself! It may seem like a strange question, but how many respects does some other refer to?

a) one only;
b) more than one;
c) either of the above (i.e. one or more.)

Put simply, singular or plural? Also, if you know, might the interpretation have been different in Shakespeare's time?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    Hello &ee - welcome to the forums!

I would say that the only way you could "expand" the quote would be as follows:
    • “O powerful love, that in some respects makes a beast a man, in some other respects, a man a beast.”
    In other words, "some other" is plural - more than one:).

&ee

English - British
    Hello &ee - welcome to the forums!

I would say that the only way you could "expand" the quote would be as follows:
    • “O powerful love, that in some respects makes a beast a man, in some other respects, a man a beast.”
    In other words, "some other" is plural - more than one:).
    In that case, wouldn't the shorter version be some others (or simply others) rather than some other ?

Loob

English UK
    Yes, in a sense: if I were writing the sentence today, I'd almost certainly use "some others" (or just "others"):).

&ee

English - British
    Yes, in a sense: if I were writing the sentence today, I'd almost certainly use "some others" (or just "others"):).
    My thinking goes like this:
    "Some idiot left the door open" - singular.
    "Some things are difficult to understand" - plural.

So here we have some other, which I understand to be one thing - one of the aspects of love, and specifically the one aspect which makes a man a beast as opposed to one of the several aspects which do the reverse. We should perhaps modernise it and say person rather than man, but I don't want to get into that :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >