In some time Vs in a while

< Previous | Next >
Hello eveyone,

I already know that "a while" means "some time". My question is: Is 'some time' an idiomatic synonym for "a while" in a context related to future events? If not, what would you suggest?

" - Don't worry Jane. In some time, things will be back to normal. You need to be patient and wait.''

Vs

" - Don't worry Jane. In a while, things will be back to normal. You need to be patient and wait.''

My definition (in a while , in some time): in a not so distant future

Thank you in advance!

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I don't care for the phrase "in some time." I'd use "in a while" under any circumstances I can think of. I wouldn't consider them idiomatic synonyms.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I already know that "a while" means "some time".
    I'm not sure that is accurate. "a while" means "an indefinite period of time." (That's a little different from "some time".)

Instead of " - Don't worry Jane. In some time, things will be back to normal." I would write, " - Don't worry Jane. In some time, things will be back to normal."

"Time" in this context is also "an indefinite period of time"

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I would use "in a while" if I expected things to change within a short time, and "in time" for anything longer than that.

"whiles" tend to be shorter. :)

We say to a child who has fallen over, "Don't worry, it will stop hurting in a while." (not "in time")

We say to someone whose partner has died, "Although you will never stop missing her, in time, you will recover."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >