in stark contrast

Kurigram

Bangla
Source:
5LB. Book of GRE(Graduate Record Examination) practice problems(Manhattan)

In the essay “The Approaching Obsolesce of Housework: A Working-Class Perspective,” Davis spends a great deal of time discussing the continuation of labor in the home in stark contrast to the assertions of D’Emilio.

Can I rewrite the bold part in the following way?

....in stark difference.....

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No, you can't. Nobody would say, "stark difference". You could say, "The difference is stark..." Davis spends a great deal of time discussing the continuation of labor in the home and the difference is stark in comparison to the assertions of D’Emilio.

Kurigram

Bangla
    Hello, PaulQ.

Some people say contrast and difference are different things and non of them can be replaced by another. Then is it correct replace "contrast" by "difference" in this sentence?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can I rewrite the bold part in the following way?

....in stark difference.....
    That was your question. To me it sounds weird. In stark contrast sounds fine. You have a marked difference and a stark contrast. That is the way English works.

Shandol

Persian - Parsi
    Thanks for the comments.

Hello Veli,
    I see your point, however the graph is also indicating that the collocation "stark difference" is possible, too, albeit less common.
    I agree that "in stark difference to..." cannot replace the original "in stark contrast to".
    Interesting, isn't it? I suppose it can, considering the fact that the meaning would alter.