In te Domine speravi, non confundar in aeternum

< Previous | Next >

Dongluo

Chinese
Hola, ¿alguien me podría decir qué significa esta frase?

"In te Domine speravi, non confundar in aeternum¨.

¿Es latín?
Muchas gracias.

• Scholiast

salvete omnes!

From the ancient (probably 4th cent. AD), though not biblical, Christian hymn Te Deum

'In Thee, Lord, have I put my trust, let me not forever be confounded'.

In more accurate and modern English: 'In you, Lord, I have rested my hopes: do not for ever let me down'.

Σ

Last edited:

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    In more accurate and modern English: 'In you, Lord, I have rested my hopes: do not for ever let me down'.
    Confundar is ambiguous, isn't it? It is both future and present subjunctive, so it can mean either I will not be let down or may I never be let down or both.

Snodv

English - Mid-Southern US
    Hmm. The hymn is not totally unbiblical; the quoted lines come from Psalm 31, verse 1. (Some confusion as to numbering exists--it seems to be Psalm 30 in Hebrew, due to the joining of Psalms 9 and 10 into one.) So, if one who knows looks at the Greek and/or the Hebrew, might not this confusion (ha) with confundar be settled?

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Hmm. The hymn is not totally unbiblical; the quoted lines come from Psalm 31, verse 1. (Some confusion as to numbering exists--it seems to be Psalm 30 in Hebrew, due to the joining of Psalms 9 and 10 into one.) So, if one who knows looks at the Greek and/or the Hebrew, might not this confusion (ha) with confundar be settled?
    Now you got me interested. The Septuagint psalm 30 uses the optative of the aorist passive:
    ἐπὶ σοί κύριε ἤλπισα μὴ καταισχυνθείην εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα
    So may I never be disgraced, dishonored, made ashamed is the intended meaning.

And the Masoretic (psalm 31 in their numbering) seems to be similar. I have no knowledge of Hebrew so I'm totally relying on the website.

< Previous | Next >