in terms of failing to meet water quality standards the ratio is 3.2

< Previous | Next >

Shooting Stars

Chinese
Hi, teachers, I’m writing a report on water quality, in which I have to draw a comparison between surface water and underground water.

What I mean to say is the total number of the underground water sources (covered by the report) was one third of the total number of the surface water sources. But the number of the underground water sources which failed to meet water quality standards was 3.2 times as many as the number of the surface water sources which failed to meet water quality standards.

I write the following sentences. I was wondering if they can convey my intended meaning, especially the bold part.

Though the ratio of underground water source to surface water source was 1/3 in terms of total number, in terms of failing to meet water quality standards the ratio was 3.2.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    My first thought:

Though the ratio of underground water sources to surface water sources was 1:3, the ratio of underground water sources to surface water sources failing to meet water quality standards was 3.2:1.

Shooting Stars

Chinese
    Thank you for your kind revision, in which I found the phrase "in terms of" was left out. I was wondering if I misused the phrase.

Copyright

American English
    I don't think you misused it – I just found the entire sentence pretty long, yet it carried and important message, so I made it as simple and as clear as I could, using the repetition of the names of the water sources. For me, it would be more readily understandable.

< Previous | Next >