< Previous | Next >

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

Here is a group of conversations:
A: Where are you?
B: In the supermarket.
A: Where in the supermarket are you?
B: I'm in the aisle where all the ketchup and barbecue sauces are.

For the last sentence, can I say "I'm in the aisle where there are ketchup and barbecue sauces"? I've found this sentence written by a native speaker, but my thought upon seeing it was: shouldn't "there be" be used?

Thank you very much.

• Myridon

English - US
    No. You can only say "... where there be ketchup" on "Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day.
    Your sentence also has quite a different emphasis. The original seems to be about a known aisle where the ketchup is usually kept. You know where you are. Your sentence suggests you don't know where you are, but you can see ketchup.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    We use “there be" sentences to talk about existence. We say, for example, there are seven pigs in the pigpen. I can't think of a situation where I say "Seven pigs are in the pigpen".

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    How many pigs are in the pigpen? Seven pigs are in the pigpen."

(AmE) I'm in the condiments aisle.
    Condiments: yes, I agree. Although in my imagined conversation in at the river, the particular native American speaker describing her location said 'ketchup and barbecue sauces' hoping to give her husband a vivid image so he could find her by looking for the bottles with rutilant reddish stuff in them.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >