in the crosshairs of the lens

Slavianophil

Russian
Is it possible to call a photo exhibition on the Second World War "In the Crosshairs of a Lense: 1941 - 1945"? Or "In the Crosshairs of an Objective Lense"? Or "In the Crosshairs of a Photographer's Lense"?

• Copyright

American English
    Personally, I wouldn't use "crosshairs" because camera lenses don't have them. The singular is lens, by the way.

Slavianophil

Russian
    Thank you very much for your answer. But is there a way to express in English the idea of a camera lens used as a sort of weapon and the image as the target of this weapon? Perhaps, "in the sight of a camera lens"?

wandle

English - British
    What did photographers use at that time to frame their pictures? SLR cameras did not exist. Some cameras had optical viewfinders consisting of a separate lens system; others had a simple wire frame fixed above the camera body.

I would suggest 'In the viewfinder'.

Slavianophil

Russian
    I share SDG's reservations about using a figurative expression suggesting that the camera is a weapon.
    It is not me who has invented the name of the exhibition and it is not my job to accept or to change it. I just have to translate it into English adequately. So, the image of a camera used as a weapon will have to remain whether I like it or not.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It is not me who has invented the name of the exhibition and it is not my job to accept or to change it. I just have to translate it into English adequately. So, the image of a camera used as a weapon will have to remain whether I like it or not.
    Fair enough. You didn't tell us this initially.

Just for future reference: it helps if we know such things, as they affect the suggestions we make.

suzi br

English / England
    Is it possible to call a photo exhibition on the Second World War "In the Crosshairs of a Lense: 1941 - 1945"? Or "In the Crosshairs of an Objective Lense"? Or "In the Crosshairs of a Photographer's Lense"?
    You do not need the E when lens is singular.

If you have to keep the weapon metaphor then I like your first offering best of these three.

< Previous | Next >