in the face of

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does "In order to allay the anxiety induced in him/her in the face of the mother’s castration" in the following extract mean "In order to allay the anxiety induced in him/her through his/her encounter with (becoming aware of) the mother’s castration"?

Extract:
The fetishist is aware of the mother’s castration, but disavows this knowledge and is thereby characterised by the structure ‘I know full well the mother does not have a penis, but all the same I shall continue to believe that she does.’ In order to allay the anxiety induced in him/her in the face of the mother’s castration, s/he displaces belief in the maternal phallus onto another object in the attempt to maintain this belief in fantasy elsewhere (Art and Psychoanalysis by Maria Walsh).

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't think it's necessary to phrase it thus: "through his/her encounter with (becoming aware of)". His anxiety was induced in him by the fact of the mother's castration. If the writer had simply used "by the mother's castration", it would have seemed to suggest that the subject witnessed the castration.

< Previous | Next >