in the first sign

< Previous | Next >

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
Hi everybody! Can any mother tongue give me a hand in understanding this paragraph? I imagine it is correct because I took it from "the independen" of today...

Meanwhile, in the first sign that international frustration at the Japanese government's reticence on the status of the stricken Fukushima power plant has reached a critical moment, the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency issued a thinly-veiled rebuke to Prime Minister Naoto Kan's administration.

Thanks a lot!

• owlman5

English-US
    This sentence means that the director general criticized Naoto Kan's administration. When he did so, that was the first sign or hint that the international community was frustrated by the administration's reluctance to tell people what the status of the power plant really is.

Does that help?

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
    ok I should go in deep with the difference of preps... thanks a lot!

Johannes

Dutch Netherlands
    Hi Norm,
    At first glance I thought like you. Rereading it like:
    The director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency issued a thinly-veiled rebuke to Prime Minister Naoto Kan's administration. It was the first sign that international frustration at the Japanese government's reticence on the status of the stricken Fukushima power plant has reached a critical moment.

So the rebuke was contained in this sign.

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
    yes paraphrasing it in this way it sounds better... and clear. Thanks!

< Previous | Next >