in the most tragic, unintentional way imaginable?

LQZ

Mandarin
When I heard (and saw) the pandemonium at Best Buys around the country, I couldn’t help but think: had HP finally sparked that cycle for webOS in the most tragic, unintentional way imaginable? The Washington Post

Dear all,

I have a problem with the placement of "imaginable". Should there be a comma before it? Or, should it be "the most tragic, unintentional, imaginable way"? Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    It's the same as "the most tragic, unintentional way we could possibly imagine." There are only two adjectives for "way" and no need for a comma after "way."

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    When I heard (and saw) the pandemonium at Best Buys around the country, I couldn’t help but think: had HP finally sparked that cycle for webOS in the most tragic, unintentional way imaginable? The Washington Post

Dear all,

I have a problem with the placement of "imaginable". Should there be a comma before it? Or, should it be "the most tragic, unintentional, imaginable way"? Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

No, it's fine. It's a lot like: "had HP finally sparked that cycle for webOS in the most tragic, unintentional way that could be imagined?"
    OR
    No, it's fine. It's a lot like: "had HP finally sparked that cycle for webOS in the most tragic, unintentional way that one could imagine?"

p.s. don't expend too much energy on this sentence - it's truly awful (in the most unintended way).

< Previous | Next >