in the present, at present?

turdusmerula

Turkish
hi friends,
could you please explain the difference between "in the present" and "at present" if there is? Actually, until seeing on a sentence, i was not aware of the usage of "in the present".

• turdusmerula

Turkish
    From Fundamentals of English Grammar (Betty Azar - pg.163- exercise 10)

3) Newspapers report events that happen ___________ the present. (answer: in)
    4) Last year, I was a junior in high school. __________ present, I am a senior in high school. (answer : at)
    5) I am a student __________ the present time, but I will graduate next month. (answer: at)

turdusmerula

Turkish
    Thank you , But can't i say "Newspapers report events that happen at the present"?
    ı guess, i couldnt grasp the nuance, sorry:(

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think the difference is that at present specifies a point in time.
    At present I am typing this. In five minutes I will post it.
    In the present is less specific. It simply refers to the immediate moment, whenever it may be. To tell the truth, I would not be likely to use it in a sentence like your sentence #3. I would be more likely to say "Newspapers report events that are happening currently", or something like that.

Here one example of how I would use in the present.
    My dog always lives in the present.
    That means, he doesn't worry about the past or the future. He only responds to what is happening now.

se16teddy

English - England
    Newspapers report events that happen in the present.
    Frankly, this sounds to me like a rather odd thing to say. And I don't think this is a fundamental of English grammar.

I am happy with in the present when it clearly contrasts with in the past. Don't live in the past, live in the present.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    None of them are available for occupation at present.
    None of them are available at present.

Some people might like "is available," but "are available" sounds better to me here.

< Previous | Next >