in the room thereof......

afrasiab

Arabic
I need to have the following sentence written in easier English

so in the room thereof, started there up that other Trinity of persons numerically the same,
or having all one and the same singular existent essence; a doctrine which seem not to have been owned by any public authority in the Christian church, save that of the Lateran council only

thank you in advance

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The sentence is difficult to understand, which makes it hard to make a useful comment. Is this a sentence you found somewhere? Or is it one you are writing?

If it is one you are writing, we won't rewrite it for you, though we will answer a question about a particular part that concerns you. If this is your sentence, please tell us in other words what you are trying to say, and point to the part that most concerns you.

If this is a sentence you saw somewhere and you would like us to help you figure out the meaning, please provide Context and Background. :)

afrasiab

Arabic
    SURELY it is not a sentence i wrote. I read it in this book "
    A statement of reasons for not believing the doctrines of Trinitarians"

the wider context is:

Cudworth after remarking " that not a few of those ancient Fathers, who were therefore reputed Orthodox because they zealously opposed Arianism," namely Gregory Nyssen, Cyril of Alexandria, and others, entertained the opinion that the three persons in the Trinity were three distinct individuals, " like three individual men, Thomas, Peter, and John"; the divine nature being common to the former as the human nature is to the latter; observes that " some would think that the ancient and genuine Platonic Trinity taken with all its faults is to be preferred before this Trinity." He then says; " But as this Trinity came afterwards to be decried for tritheistic; so in the room thereof, started there up that other Trinity of persons numerically the same, or having all one and the same singular existent essence; a doctrine which seemeth not to have been owned by any public authority in the Christian church, save that of the Lateran council only."

Matching Mole

England, English
    We cannot re-write or interpret entire texts (whether you have written them yourself or not): only one specific usage can be addressed in a single thread. However, your title points to a specific phrase "in the room thereof", so I will take this to be the topic.

"Room" in this case has a meaning which, to my knowledge, is no longer used. It means place in a figurative sense, and "in the room of" means "in place of" ("in its place"). The sense is of one thing taking the place, or being replaced, with another. It is also similar to "instead" (in its stead).

So:
    "But as this Trinity came afterwards to be decried for tritheistic; so in the room thereof, started there up that other Trinity of persons numerically the same"
    might be rendered as:

That other Trinity of persons numerically the same took the place of (or replaced) "this Trinity" (i.e. the form of Trinity regarded as three distinct individuals).

One concept of the Trinity was replaced by another (deemed more acceptable).

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The source should include the author, and the date of publication.

The passage is from a book written in 1837 by By Charles Morgridge. We are dealing with a sentence from a work published before this. Knowing the dates alerts us to the fact that the word may have a meaning that it no longer has, as Mole suggests.

(The quoted sentence is from a lecture by Cudworth, reprinted in 1837 in:
    The true intellectual system of the universe by Ralph Cudworth, Thomas Birch.)

< Previous | Next >