In the sign or under the sign?

Hedgehog08

Italian - Italy
Can you tell me if this sentence is correct, please?
I' m working on a project to help a silk child of krabbe's disease. It' s a project under the sign of solidarity.

• Copyright

American English
    It's a "sick child" and "Krabbe disease." But I don't understand the sentence you're asking about. Can you explain in more detail?

Hedgehog08

Italian - Italy
    I wonder if this sentence is clear and correct. And besides is it better to say "under the sign" or "in the sign" or something else?

Copyright

American English
    As I said, I don't even understand "It's a project under the sign of solidarity." That was what I was asking you to explain. Thanks.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think this is a direct translation from Italian? It resembles a French structure that I'm familiar with, but has no direct English equivalent.

Try: "It's a project under the watchword 'solidarity'" (?) or better still "Solidarity is the watchword of this project".

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Then solidarity is the wrong word entirely. In English it means social class(es) working together, even if it is to enrich themselves.

Try: I'm working on a project to help a child suffering from krabbe's disease. It's a non-profit-making project / It's an entirely altruistic project.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Big Welcome, hedgehog, by the way! :)

I think that it is a project "showing solidarity".
    It's a project that shows support for the cause.

EDIT: Yikes! Cross-posts.

Copyright

American English
    Picking up from Edinburgher, "I'm working on a charitable project to help a child with* Krabbe disease."

*Or "suffering from."

< Previous | Next >